The place

History of the Hall


Edouard Herriot confirms Tony Garnier as the sole architect of the future slaughterhouses and cattle market.

Most of the architectural plans are from this period.

Beginning of the works.

MAY 1914
Interruption of the works for the International Exhibition of Lyon "The Modern City."

This exhibition offers a comprehensive overview of what, in France and abroad, has been or will be made for the development and for rational facilities of cities.

Tony Garnier was chosen to be the chief architect of this important exhibition.

A very elaborate program was established to provide not only all that relates to the Urbanism and its components, but also the characteristics of the various buildings, administrative, educational, cultural, hospital, industrial and even military with their specific facilities, their furniture and regulations which specify their operation.

Requisition of the buildings by the army to house a weapons factory, a munitions depot and barracks.

Evacuation of military forces.

UNTIL 1928
Works rehabilitation.

Inauguration of the cattle market.
1908 : the project for slaughterhouses and cattle market called “La Mouche” is confided to Tony Garnier by the mayor of Lyon, Edouard Herriot. This is the first major project confided to Tony Garnier.
These slaughterhouses will be built on a plot of 240,000 m2 south of Lyon. Clear layout and clear division of the different services : the two main sectors, markets and slaughterhouses, are easily distinguishable. The other buildings are arranged rationally.
Slaughterhouses and cattle market are served by separate entrances and are separated by fences.
Presence of a crossing point in the middle of the large market and giving access to a long covered walkway (current path of the Ecole Normale Superieure Sciences).
The Halle is fully tiled and the animals are herded into pens distributed on either side of a wide aisle.
This market can muster 4000 cattle, 8000 sheeps and 3500 pigs.
The Halle for cattle market has a stepped roof that provides natural protection, but also the natural building's lighting and ventilation.

Closure of the slaughterhouses (transfer of the slaughterhouses at Corbas) due to technological developments and the growth of the city.

UNTIL 1974
Disaffection of the slaughterhouses and increasing of technical developments. The demolitions are starting…

UNTIL 1975
The grounds around the Halle are released. Rescue after a vigorous press campaign of :
- the cattle market,
- 2 north pavilions,
- the monumental arch, east entrance.
These buildings which have been preserved are listed in the Inventory of Historic May 16, 1975.

Rehabilitation of the Halle
Unoccupied for 12 years, the Halle is not restored before 1987/1988.
The city of Lyon, the owner, decided to pursue an active policy of rehabilitation entrusted to municipal technical services, under the responsibility of the architects Reichen & Robert (Paris) and HTVS (Lyon), assisted by ALGOE (Lyon).
Funding from the local community (18 million Euros).
Works done :
- Rehabilitation of soil
- Creation of basements for technical facilities
- Technical columns 
- Lighting like the "Eiffel Tower " for the metal arches.

Renovation of the Halle
From June 1999 to May 2000 : renovation of the Halle.
Works done by the architecture firm Workshop Rize (Lyon) :
- Improvement of reception conditions and comfort
- Acoustic insulation of roofs and facades
- Creation of a more modular venue
- Multiple nearby premises (lodges, toilet blocks, infirmaries, places of storage)